To the masses, winter is often associated with cozy knit blankets, hot cocoa (I’ll settle for a PSL from Starbucks, tyvm), and fun-filled afternoons of snowball fights. Yet, with all these delightful things that the subzero temperature brings us, severely dry and chapped lips are something very REAL too.
And it’s the lip balm to the rescue! Instead of buying one from your local drugstore, why not try making a winter lip balm this time round? Take a look at the fuss-free recipe below to see how you can DIY one in the comfort of your own home.
– An empty container (e.g. jar or tube)
– 1 tablespoon of cocoa butter
– 1 tablespoon of crushed beeswax
– 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
– 3 to 4 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
1. Melt the crushed beeswax and cocoa butter in a double boiler (i.e. place a small bowl into a pot of hot water). Keep the stove at low heat to maintain the temperature.
2. Once the beeswax and cocoa butter have melted, add in the coconut oil and mix well together.
3. Add in the peppermint essential oil, or any other oils of your own preference, into the mixture. Stir the mixture gently.
4. Once it has reached a medium-thick consistency, turn off the stove and let the mixture cool slightly. Next, carefully pour the mixture into the clean and dry container.
5. Once the balm mixture has cooled completely, cap the container and place it in the fridge to allow the lip balm to set.
And voila! You now have your very own winter lip balm to use. Say hello to gorgeous, smack-worthy lips this Christmas!